About

My name is Katelyn E. Brown. I am currently a visual arts student at Thompson Rivers University (TRU), working towards my bachelors of fine arts (BFA) degree.

I took my first painting lesson when I was 8 years old, so lets just say I’ve been practicing art since then. One of the catches to obtaining your BFA is that you have to take all these other courses that seem to have very little to do with art (all for good reason I’m sure…) And lucky for me, a BFA requires 18 history credits, so here I am taking an intro to Canadian History course.

I decided to take a Canadian history course because, sadly, I do not feel I know the facts and details about Canada’s history that I should. And I’m happy to report that my knowledge of Canada’s past has been heightened after taking this course.

Once I obtain my BFA I will have a fancy piece of paper that says I’m “really good at art!” haha, just kidding. Once I receive my BFA I would like to go into psychology and earn a degree in that as well. With both my BFA and psychology degree I would like to apply all I’ve learned from both art and psychology towards a career in art therapy.

Art has incredible ways of helping people. And those who do art are able to release a lot of their feelings and emotions into their art work, which in turn develops a lot of self reflection in the individual.

I truly, with all my heart, believe in the power of art. When I was 21 (6 years ago) I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis (MS). Over the last 6 years I have had many ups and downs regarding my MS. Just recently, in March of 2016, I suffered my worst MS attack to date. The right side of my body was completely paralyzed for almost a month, and I bounced around hospitals, from Kamloops to Vancouver, for over 6 weeks. While in the hospital I experienced things I never thought I would. Number 1, depression. I simply could not believe my body had betrayed me the way it did, and it took me a long time to accept what had happened to me, thus sending me into a state of denial, and depression.

My mother (god bless her!) stood by my side for as long as I needed her (3 1/2 months!). I obviously wasn’t very inspired to make any art during this trying time in my life, but my mother kept on encouraging me to do so. After hours and hours of physical therapy and various doctor appointments I started making art again. Using mostly my left hand (I am right handed and the right side of my body had gone paralyzed) to draw and practice certain skills, and slowly I began drawing again. And, over time, my passion for art came back as did my strength and fine motor skills to the right side of my body.

Art has brought me back to the person I was before my MS attacked happened in March (mostly…) I still have a long road of recovery ahead of me, and I know my passion for art is going to help me, or at least make the process and little less…(for lack of a better word)… shitty. I have been working towards obtaining this degree since i was 20 years old… I am now 27… I should have my BFA by now, but because MS is a cold-heartless bitch, here I am working away at my goal. I am working towards my graduation and obtaining my degree by next April (2018).

So, if you’re reading this, and feel stuck, lost, distraught, confused, or even just angry. Take my word for it, because I’ve been there.  MAKE SOME ART!